Clean and Store Grills
Clean grills after each use and make sure that all grease, fat and food particles are removed. Store clean grills and smokers in a secure area that keeps bears out.
4 steps to a clean grill
- Burn off food particles on your outdoor grill after each use.
- Clean or remove the grease pan. Do not dump drippings in the yard.
- Cover your outdoor grill.
- If bears are active in your area, store the grill indoors. Leave the propane tank outside (propane is a fire risk).
When camping, keep the firepit or grill clean
Don’t burn trash in campfire pits or camp grills. Food waste, including the residue left by “empty” containers usually does not get burned adequately to remove food smells.
Don’t give bears a reason to linger around campsites!
- Do not throw your trash or food waste into a campfire ring or campsite grill and assume that it will be “burned up.”
- Put your waste in the nearest available trash container, or pack it out.
- After each use, clean the campsite area and grill, even if you are camping at the site for several days.
Bottom photo: Steve Uffman